I've been Assaulted.  What do I do?


You are not alone.  Sexual violence can be very emotionally disruptive, and it takes time to come to terms with such a major stress. In addition to support that may be found in family and friends, the following agencies and departments can serve as resources for you.




Think about your safety.  Are you safe from your attacker? Do you need immediate help?


If you have been a victim of sexual violence and need immediate help, call the police or 911. If the incident happened on campus, call the SSC Police Department at (405) 382-9500 or 405-380-8989.

Once you have secured your safety, think about getting medical attention.


Medical Attention


Immediate medical attention may be necessary to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted infection and possible pregnancy, as well as treat any wounds incurred.  Go to the Alliance Health Seminole Hospital at 2401Wrangler Blvd. to receive care for any physical injuries that may have occurred. While in the emergency room, treatment will be provided for sexually transmitted diseases and to prevent pregnancy. The nearest Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) facility is the Unzner Center at 214 N. Oklahoma Avenue in Shawnee (405) 273-1992.  SSC will help you to get to either facility. 


If you go to the Unzner Center a sexual assault nurse examiner (SANE), a police officer, and a rape volunteer advocate will be sent to the exam site.  The rape advocate will support you throughout the entire exam, which will be performed by the nurse. The advocate will provide a packet of written materials that contains information about common reactions to rape, follow-up medical needs and support services.


Do not shower, bathe, douche, change or destroy clothes, eat, drink, smoke, chew gum, take any medications or straighten the room or place of the incident. Preserving evidence is critical for criminal prosecution. Although you may not want to prosecute immediately after the incident, that choice will not be available without credible evidence. The evidence collected can also be useful in the campus conduct process.


Support Services


Even if you choose not to access medical attention, you are encouraged to seek support services when you are ready.  These might include counseling, law enforcement, or student conduct services.  You can read more about resources on the Campus Resources or Interim Safety Measures page.