Title: Media Relations Coordinator
Department/Division: Public Relations
Date Prepared: April 4, 2014
Reports To: Vice President for Institutional Advancement
Seminole State College, a public community college in Seminole, Oklahoma, solicits applications for a full-time, 12-month Coordinator of Media Relations. The Coordinator reports to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement and is responsible for providing information about college activities to the media.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Seminole State College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and other communities served by the College. Interact effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of the College’s service area.
- Uphold the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Perform job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Design, plan and implement communication strategies and campaigns for a variety of media, marketing and public relations programs.
- Provides information to media outlets by generating news releases and articles.
- Create and post press releases and written content for the website, produce multimedia and social media content, and edit brochures and other marketing material relative to the College’s programs, events, activities, student organizations and personnel.
- Write, prepare, review and edit college publications; design and typeset campus press jobs; assist with special events; photograph special activities and events; and assist in the promotion of college sports
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Perform other miscellaneous maintenance duties as requested or needed.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Some evenings and weekend work may be required.
- Some travel may be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge: Master’s degree in public relations, journalism, or related field is highly desirable. Bachelor’s degree required. Successful candidate must possess knowledge of principles and practices of public relations, communications, and journalism. Must possess a strong knowledge of principles and practices of composing and editing.
- Skills: Excellent organizational skills; accurate and detail orientated with ability to prioritize information in a timely manner; solid communication skills (written, oral and active listening); strong interpersonal skills; able to work effectively in team situations. Experience with word processing, spreadsheets, and software for creating flyers, brochures, newsletters, etc.
- Abilities: Ability to work under minimal supervision and practice strong organizational and time management techniques; must be able to respond effectively in a variety of situations; able to work well in team situations; ability to multi-task; ability to innovate and lead and manage change in a positive and inclusive manner; ability to effectively organize, prioritize, and schedule work assignments.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of application will begin immediately. To apply, please send letter of application, resumé, copies of all academic transcripts, and three current letters of recommendation to Human Resources. The filling of the position is contingent on available funding.
Seminole State College
ATTN: Human Resources
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity.
SSC participates in E-verify.
Posted April 4, 2014