Title: NASNTI Peer Tutor
Department/Division: NASNTI Program
Date Prepared:March 12, 2012
Reports To: NASNTI Student Development Specialist I
Under general supervision, the NASNTI Peer Tutors will provide both individual and group tutoring sessions to Seminole State College students in math, science, and English courses.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Seminole State College in the most positive manner with prospective, former, and current students; clients; suppliers; and the community we serve. Interact effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students, and other customers of our services; learn and use operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Uphold the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Perform job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion. Organize and maintain student tutoring session records including attendance sheets, time sheets, and tutoring records.
- Tutor students in subject areas appropriate to Peer Tutor’s qualifications.
- Assist students in developing competency in their course material.
- Support and encourage students with the intent of increasing their self-confidence and ability to learn independently.
- Actively engage in tutor orientation and training sessions as well as scheduled staff meetings.
- Evaluate students’ progress periodically and provide reports to supervisor.
- Support and maintain a quiet environment that is conducive to studying.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Welcome students who enter the tutoring area in a warm and inviting way.
- Perform other functions as necessary or as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge: Applicants must show proficiency in applicable subject matter. Proficiency is proven with a grade of “B” or higher in specific college level math, science, and English courses. Applicants that have completed multiple math, science, and/or English courses are preferred. Applicant must be a current Seminole State College student with at least 12 hours of college credit.
- Skills: Applicants must have excellent verbal and written communication, customer service, organizational, and time management skills. Prior tutoring experience and/or training, computer literacy, and experience working in an educational environment are highly desirable.
- Abilities: Applicant must have the ability to coach students on how to succeed in college, to work with a diverse student population, to act professionally in the work environment, to maintain a good working relationship with NASNTI staff members and fellow Peer Tutors, and to initiate conversations and tutoring sessions with students.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, only candidates whose applications are received by April 20, 2012 are assured of receiving full consideration. The salary is $10.50/hour.
Applications are available in the NASNTI Office in the Boren Library. Completed applications can be returned to the NASNTI Office or mailed to the address below. Please provide a current high school and/or college transcript with your completed application.
Seminole State College
ATTN: NASNTI Program
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74868