Title: Peer Mentors
Department/Division: Upward Bound
Date Prepared: February 26, 2014
Reports To: Upward Bound Coordinators
Classification: Part-time (Temporary)
Upward Bound provides academic and enrichment activities to 250 high school students. The program offers a summer residential component focused on enhancing the academic skills of the participants and provides participants with fast-paced, intensive academic coursework and other social, cultural and recreational enrichment activities.The Upward Bound Peer Mentor is a student staff member who provides leadership and guidance to students in the Upward Bound Program. Mentors serve as role models and help high school students’ manage any obstacles that may arise during the summer program. Peer Mentors assist Upward Bound (UB) Staff with implementing and supervising all activities with UB participants on and off campus Sunday through Thursday. Upward Bound is not just a summer job; it is a commitment to educational equity and an extension of our service to the community. Our charge is not only to increase the number of students who go to college, but to also help shape our participants into future leaders.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represents Seminole State College and the Upward Bound Projects in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Performs job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Educates new participants about the Summer Program schedule and policies.
- Helps students become familiar with SSC and Upward Bound resources; advises and refers residents to appropriate staff, as the need arises.
- Attends class with the Bridge students and facilitates study groups for the class.
- Develops positive and supportive relationships with Upward Bound students, mentoring them on academic, personal, social, and college/career concerns.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining a positive and safe environment in the UB residence hall for students and staff, creating an atmosphere that appreciates the diverse cultures, traditions, lifestyles, and beliefs of all students.
- Leads group study sessions, including tutoring and teaching study skills.
- Leads and participates (as appropriate) in free-time and structured evening activities.
- Conducts evening lights out rounds in the residence hall and provides supervisory coverage as needed.
- Maintains appropriate, professional boundaries with students.
- Refers student disciplinary issues, crises and personal issues to appropriate staff, and make recommendations for responses based on behavioral concerns.
- Assists with summer food service program and compliance.
- Assists in monitoring students’ arrival on Sundays and departure on Thursdays.
- Coordinates with full-time staff and attends all staff meetings.
- Participates in orientation / training sessions and attends scheduled staff meetings.
- Assists in activity preparation, set up, and clean up.
- Monitors student behavior during activities and bus rides.
- Assists serving snacks.
- Assists UB Coordinators throughout the day with supervision during meals, classes, and with activities planning.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Some travel is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
For consideration, candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Pursuing a college degree
- Extensive knowledge of Upward Bound and Seminole State College
- Must be available to attend Peer Mentor training prior to the beginning of the Upward Bound summer program.
- Commitment to help participants prepare for college; commitment to be a positive role model.
- Strong leadership qualities and have the ability to function as a team player.
- Communicates constructively and effectively.
- Possess strong organizational, time management, and human relations skills.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Peer Mentors must live in the Residence Hall with students. Peer Mentors are considered 24 hour employees and are required to assist Upward Bound Coordinators throughout the day with supervision during meals, classes, and with activities planning. Applications are available in the Upward Bound Office, Scott Building, Room 108. Completed applications should be returned to the Upward Bound Office (with current college transcript if applicable) or mailed to the address below.
Seminole State College
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity
SSC participates in E-verify.