Title: Activities Leaders
Department/Division: Upward Bound
Date Prepared: February 26, 2014
Reports To: Upward Bound Coordinators
Classification: Part-time (Temporary)
Upward Bound provides academic and enrichment activities to 250 high school students. The program offers a summer residential component focused on enhancing the academic skills of the participants and provides participants with fast-paced, intensive academic coursework and other social, cultural and recreational enrichment activities.
Evening Activities Leaders assist Upward Bound (UB) Staff with implementing and supervising all evening activities with UB participants on and off campus five nights per week (Sunday– Thursday). Activities may include swimming, basketball, volleyball, bowling, academic bowls, academic lectures, etc.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represents Seminole State College and the Upward Bound Projects in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Performs job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Provides one-on-one support and encouragement to help the student develop an increased sense of confidence.
- Participate in orientation / training sessions and attend scheduled staff meetings.
- Supervise activities and enforce program rules.
- Participate in activities when appropriate.
- Assist in activity preparation, set up, and clean up.
- Interact with students during field trips and activities.
- Monitor student behavior during activities and bus rides.
- Assist serving snacks.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Some travel is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong leadership qualities and have the ability to function as a team player.
- Communicates constructively and effectively.
- Possess strong organizational, time management, and human relations skills.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Hours vary but will begin around 3 p.m. each afternoon and will usually end around 10 p.m. If the activity is off campus, it may not be completed until midnight. Applications are available in the Upward Bound Office, Scott Building, Room 108. Completed applications should be returned to the Upward Bound Office or mailed to the address below. Please provide a current college transcript with your completed application.
Seminole State College
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity
SSC participates in E-verify.