Department/Division: Upward Bound
Date Prepared: February 26, 2014
Reports To: Upward Bound Coordinators
Upward Bound provides academic and enrichment activities to 250 high school students. The program offers a summer residential component focused on enhancing the academic skills of the participants and provides participants with fast-paced, intensive academic coursework and other social, cultural and recreational enrichment activities.Upward Bound (UB) seeks RAs to supervise and advise high school students during our summer residential program. Residential Advisors assist Upward Bound (UB) Staff with implementing and supervising all activities with UB participants on and off campus Sunday through Thursday. Upward Bound is not just a summer job; it is a commitment to educational equity and an extension of our service to the community. Our charge is not only to increase the number of students who go to college, but to also help shape our participants into future leaders.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represents Seminole State College and the Upward Bound Projects in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Performs job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Develops positive and supportive relationships with Upward Bound students, mentoring them on academic, personal, social, and college/career concerns.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining a positive and safe environment in the UB residence hall for students and staff, creating an atmosphere that appreciates the diverse cultures, traditions, lifestyles, and beliefs of all students.
- Leads group study sessions, including tutoring and teaching study skills.
- Takes primary responsibility for students in his/her group, by monitoring academic, personal and social progress and updating other staff as necessary.
- Leads and participates (as appropriate) in free-time and structured evening activities.
- Conducts morning wake up calls and evening lights out rounds in the residence hall and provide supervisory coverage as needed.
- Maintains appropriate, professional boundaries with students.
- Handles and/or refers student disciplinary issues, crises and personal issues to appropriate staff, and make recommendations for responses based on behavioral concerns.
- Assists with summer food service program and compliance.
- Assists in monitoring students’ arrival on Sundays and departure on Thursdays.
- Coordinates with full-time staff and attend all staff meetings.
- Maintains program rules and expectations.
- Assists in maintaining safety and security in the residence hall, including taking responsibility for SSC and UB property.
- Performs other tasks as reasonably assigned by UB Staff.
- Participates in orientation / training sessions and attend scheduled staff meetings
- Assists in activity preparation, set up, and clean up.
- Monitors student behavior during activities and bus rides.
- Assists serving snacks.
- Assists UB Coordinators throughout the day with supervision during meals, classes, and with activities planning.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Some travel is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must possess strong leadership qualities and have the ability to function as a team player.
- Must be able to communicate constructively and effectively.
- Possess strong organizational, time management, and human relations skills.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check.
Residential Assistants must live in the Residence Hall with students. RAs assist Upward Bound Coordinators throughout the day with supervision during meals, classes, and with activities planning. Applications are available in the Upward Bound Office, Scott Building, Room 108. Completed applications should be returned to the Upward Bound Office (with current college transcript if applicable) or mailed to the address below.
Seminole State College
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity
SSC participates in E-verify.