Title: Summer Teachers
Department/Division: Upward Bound Projects
Date Prepared: February 26, 2014
Reports To: Upward Bound Coordinators
Classification: Part-time (Temporary)
Upward Bound provides academic and enrichment activities to 250 high school students. The program offers a summer residential component focused on enhancing the academic skills of the participants and provides participants with fast-paced, intensive academic coursework and other social, cultural and recreational enrichment activities.
Summer Program Teachers provide instruction to high school students participating in the six-week summer residential component of Upward Bound. Teachers are required to accompany students on “The Big Trip” during the sixth week of the program. The Big Trip is usually out-of-state and is at least four days and three nights. Teachers are needed in most subject areas (math, literature/composition, lab science, foreign language, consumer science, etc.)
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represents Seminole State College and the Upward Bound Projects in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Performs job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Work collaboratively with the other instructors to ensure that courses are integrated.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Provides instruction to students Monday through Thursday.
- Assists students in developing competency in course work.
- Provides support and encouragement to help students develop an increased sense of confidence and become independent learners.
- Keeps records of student’s pre and post-test scores, uses curriculum provided, and tracks student attendance.
- Assist in activity preparation, set up, and cleanup.
- Interact with students during field trips and activities.
- Monitor student behavior during activities, including the bus ride.
- Participates training sessions and attend scheduled staff meetings.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Some travel is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Most positions require secondary certification.
- Possess strong organizational, time management, human relations skills, and written communication skills.
- Must successfully pass a criminal background check. Commitment to help participants prepare for college; commitment to be a positive role model.
- Strong leadership qualities and have the ability to function as a team player.
- Communicates constructively and effectively.
Teachers are paid $100 per day Monday through Thursday. Applications are available in the Upward Bound Office, Scott Building, Room 108. Completed applications should be returned to the Upward Bound Office or mailed to the address below. Please provide a college transcript and a copy of your certification with the completed application.
Seminole State College
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an AA/EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity
SSC participates in E-verify.