Title: GEAR UP Tutor
Department/Division: GEAR UP Project
Date Prepared:April 2, 2013
Reports To: Gear Up Project director
Classification: Part-time (Temporary)
Under the supervision of assigned program staff, GEAR UP tutor provides academic assistance and academic mentoring to cohort students of the Seminole State College GEAR UP project providing services on-campus, at partner school districts or other locations served by the program. Tutors will provide help to students ranging in academic progress from the 7th to the 12th high school grades.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Represent Seminole State College in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our services, learns and uses operating practice of Seminole State College.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Seminole State College empowers people for academic success, personal development, and lifelong learning.
- Performs job duties utilizing SSC’s core values: Compassion, Opportunity, Respect, and Excellence.
- Handles confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Provides individual and/or group tutoring to students as required and assigned.
- Assists students in developing competency in course work.
- Provides one-on-one support and encouragement to help students develop an increased sense of confidence and become independent learners.
- Keeps records of students tutored, including time sheets and tutorial records.
- Evaluates student progress at each session and provides reports to the assigned supervisor.
- Delivers complete grant documentation as assigned to the OK, Go College! GEAR UP offices by the specified deadlines.
- Consults with parents when necessary to assess pre-college students’ need.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs other functions as necessary or as assigned.
- Some travel is required to and from communities served by the grant.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge: A high school graduate or above with proficiency in the subject area to be tutored and demonstrated competence in the area as reflected by high school and/or college transcripts.
- Skills: The applicant must possess strong organizational, time management, written and oral communication skills in both group and interpersonal settings. Experience working in an educational environment is preferred.
- Abilities: The position requires visual acuity, communication skills, the ability to lift and carry supplies and materials related to performance of the job description and the ability to perform functions related to transportation to and from public schools.
Applications are available in the GEAR UP office in the Boren Library. Completed applications should be returned to the GEAR UP Offices or mailed to the address below. Please provide a current high school and / or college transcript with your completed application. Availability of positions varies throughout the academic year and summer session
Seminole State College
ATTN: GEAR UP
P.O. Box 351
Seminole, OK 74818
SSC is an EEO employer committed to multicultural diversity.
SSC participates in E-verify.
Posted April 24, 2013