Back to Compliance


Seminole State College, in support of and in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990), welcomes requests for reasonable accommodations. Students with special needs should contact the ADA specialist, located in the Walkingstick Building, admisssions office..  The ADA specialist may also be reached by calling 405-382-9248.  Students may also contact the office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, located just inside the north door of the Walkingstick Student Services Center, or by calling 405-382-9216.

A TDD telephone, located in the Boren Learning Resource Center is available for the use of hearing-impaired students.  The TDD number is (405) 382-9291.

Student Eligibility

For Seminole State College to provide services to special needs students, eligibility must be established. Services are provided to each qualified person with a disability as defined by federal regulations. A "qualified person with a disability" means: "An individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable modifications to rules, policies, or practices, the removal of architectural, communication, or transportation barriers, or the provision of auxiliary aids and services, meets the essential eligibility requirements for the recipient of services or the participation in programs or activities provided by a public entity." (Public Law 101-336, Section 201) The federal definition of a disability includes a person who:

1. has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more of such a person's major life activities

2. has a record of such impairment

3. is regarded as having such impairment. (Public Law 101-336, Section 201)

Students are required to provide documentation of a disability prior to the provision of services. In the case of a physical disability, documentation from a physician is needed. In the case of a learning disability, documentation must be submitted from one of two sources:

1. Students diagnosed with a learning disability prior to graduation from an accredited high school need to submit a copy of the psycho educational evaluation on file at their respective high school.

2. Students diagnosed after completion of high school need to submit a psycho educational evaluation performed by a licensed psychologist. An annual directory of licensed psychologists is published by the Oklahoma State Board of Examiners of Psychologists. (It is the policy of Seminole State College to base accommodations on the most recent psycho educational evaluation.)

How Often Must a Student Request ADA Services?

Planned services are provided based upon student request. Ordinarily, students arrange services at the time of enrollment; therefore, services must be requested at least each semester or at the time a need is identified. A student must also meet with each instructor in whose class the student is enrolled at the beginning of every semester to sign an accommodation form.