Quick Links


Financial Aid Main Page







Please contact our department with your financial aid questions.


Many external agencies charge for the assistance they provide.


Our services are free



Frequently Asked Questions



I am new to Financial Aid. What forms and documents will I need to apply for grants, work study, and student loans?


For any grant, including the Pell Grant, work study and student loans, you need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You should also be prepared to provide SSC with copies of various documents, if requested. For student loans, you must also complete additional forms, including a Master Promissory Note. Many of the required forms are available at our website.



I have been attending another college and want to transfer to Seminole State College.


When you completed the FAFSA application if you did not add SSC as one of the schools to receive a copy of the FAFSA application, then you need to login to the www.fafsa.ed.gov website and make a correction so you may add SSC (003178) in the school section. Once you make this correction we should receive the application within 7 – 10 days. At that time we will process the application and notify you of any further documentation that we may need.



Are there any other requirements?


Yes. There are several general eligibility requirements financial aid recipients must meet. A student

must: be a US citizen or an eligible noncitizen; be registered with selective service; show documented financial need; be enrolled in an eligible program, working toward a degree or certificate offered at SSC; not be in default on a student loan or owe a refund on any educational grant



What if I have a drug conviction?


A drug-related conviction does not necessarily make you ineligible for aid; call 1-800-433-3243 or go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to find out if you are eligible.



What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?


Students who receive federal, state, or campus based funds administered by the SSC office of Financial Aid must demonstrate satisfactory academic progress in order to remain eligible. The student’s academic record at SSC is used to measure satisfactory progress and all periods of enrollment at SSC must be counted, including any semesters in which the student did not receive financial aid. A link to our Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy may be found under Quick Links on the Financial Aid main page.



What if I still have financial aid available after all of my institutional charges are paid?


Financial aid refunds are now deposited onto your student I.D. (unless you designate another financial institution)



How do I determine my enrollment status?


A full-time student is enrolled in 12 or more hours. A three-quarter time student is enrolled in 9-11 hours. A half-time student is enrolled in 6-8 hours. A less-than-half time student is enrolled in 1-5 hours



I noticed my award letter is for full-time enrollment. What happens if I enroll in fewer hours?


Your financial aid award may be decreased.



What happens if I withdraw from school?


Federal regulations require a portion of the student's financial aid be returned if the student withdraws or stops attending before completing over 60% of the semester. This could result in you owing money to SSC and/or the federal government. The required calculation is based on the date the student began the withdraw process, the student's last date of attendance at an academically related activity or midpoint of the semester for a student who leaves without notifying SSC.



I am thinking about also going to school during the summer. Will I receive financial aid?


OTAG and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants, unless otherwise stated, are for the fall and spring semesters. They will not be carried forward to the summer semester.  If you do not earn your maximum full-time Pell grant award during the fall thru spring semesters, your Pell Grant may be carried forward for the summer semester. Before the summer semester starts, contact the financial aid office to determine if you have any remaining eligibility. A summer application is required.



I still owe money for the installment plan. Will my financial aid be applied to my remaining balance?


Yes. When your financial aid is posted to your account, any unpaid institutional charges (tuition and fees, books and residence hall) will be paid before you receive any cash money.



Do I have to apply for financial aid each year?


YES! We like to tell students to apply for financial aid the same time they complete their tax returns.



My parents don’t provide me with financial support.  Can I apply as an “Independent” student?


Being considered an independent student is not merely a matter of being responsible for your own expenses. You must meet certain criteria to be declared an independent student for the purposes of the FAFSA:

  • Be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year;
  • Be an orphan (both parents deceased), ward of the court, in foster care or was a ward of the court when 13 years or older;
  • Be a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States or serving on active duty for other than training purposes;
  • Be a graduate or professional student;
  • Be a married individual;
  • Have legal dependents other than a spouse;
  • Be an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship;
  • Be a homeless youth;
  • Be a student for whom a financial aid administrator makes a documented determination of independence by reason of other unusual circumstances.




Changing Your Status


Dependent students may change their status, but it’s not easy. You start by filing a Request for Change in Dependency Status, which can be requested from the Financial Aid Staff. You also must provide documentation explaining your situation. Your case is then reviewed by a committee.


Keep in mind that most students will not qualify for a change in status. Circumstances tend to be extreme (such as abandonment or physical abuse) to warrant the change. Simply residing in your own apartment or house is not adequate justification.



So, is that all I need to know?


In order to obtain financial aid at SSC, you will need to complete an Admissions application and have your High School or G.E.D transcript on file at the Registrar's Office. If you have been to any other college or trade school, you must also have current academic transcripts from those schools on file at the Registrar's Office.