TOBACCO USE ON CAMPUS
DATE OF ADOPTION: March 15, 2012
REVIEW DATE(S): May 10, 2018
LEGAL REFERENCE: 63 O.S. §1-1515 (B) Executive Order 2012-01
Executive Order 2013-43
The purpose of this policy is to eliminate all tobacco use whether located indoors or outdoors on property owned, leased or contracted for use by Seminole State College and in state vehicles used for Seminole State College business.
- The use of tobacco products (including, but not limited to, cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, vaping devices, pipes, smokeless tobacco, and other tobacco products) is prohibited throughout all indoor and outdoor areas of property owned or under the control of Seminole State College, including parking lots owned or under the control of said agency and off-site venues used for Seminole State College campus-sponsored meetings or events, and in vehicles on campus or in vehicles used by said agency or its employees whenever conducting business anywhere
- This policy applies to all employees, students, clients, visitors and others at all Seminole State College property.
- Seminole State College will identify the boundaries of its property, post this information for public reference, and provide notice of this policy with appropriate signage, including signs at the entrances to the properties and/or other locations as needed. The agency will also utilize printed materials and other communications as needed to educate employees and all other persons using or visiting the property regarding this policy.
- Any locations owned by Seminole State College that share a building or property with other offices will eliminate tobacco use in their offices and from all the indoor and outdoor locations under their control.
- Tobacco product receptacles will be removed from the property, including any ash cans near entryways.
- Seminole State College employees will not use tobacco products while providing services to students or clients regardless of location.
- Seminole State College is committed to providing support to all Seminole State College employees who wish to stop using tobacco products. Seminole State College is committed to ensuring that employees have access to several types of assistance, including cessation medications and telephone counseling through the Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline. Supervisors are encouraged to refer employees to the Helpline as appropriate
- Seminole State College will prohibit tobacco and/or vaping company sponsorships or advertising on campus or at any off-site campus sponsored events or meetings
- Seminole State College will communicate and promote available tobacco cessation benefits and insurance coverage for students and employees and to all prospective students and employees, all new students at the time of orientation, all new hires, and all existing students and employees on an annual basis.
- Noncompliance by an employee will be cause for management/supervisor intervention and may result in corrective or disciplinary action in accordance with Seminole State College personnel rules.
- Noncompliance by students and visitors will be handled by the Office of Student Affairs and/or by the Campus Police, as appropriate.
This policy is effective June 1, 2012.