DATE OF ADOPTION: December 14, 2000   




In a general way, meetings of groups on campus may be classified as follows:  (1) those formally scheduled as a part of the College curriculum or program; (2) specially called meetings by an administrative office, academic division, or some other official agency of the College; (3) meetings scheduled or called by an officially recognized organization; and (4) meetings of off-campus groups in College facilities as a community service.  This latter category is the subject of a special policy statement of the Board of Regents (see policy III-8-4).  The following statement addresses itself to the first three categories and variations thereof.


Meetings called by administrative offices or by academic divisions are normally a part of the teaching or service functions of the College, but require some coordination and guidance.  Scheduled classes are handled through the Division Chair and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.  Any deviations from the schedule should be cleared in the same fashion.  Similarly, changes in the instructional plan in any course or class, such as the arrangement of special programs and use of guest lecturers, should have clearance and approval through the Division Chair and the Vice President for Academic Affairs.


Special meetings must be called by a Division Chair or administrative officer rather than by individual staff and these require the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.


Student organization meetings are allowed use of College facilities only if officially recognized by the Student Government Association and the Vice President for Student Affairs. A student organization must have a statement of purposes and a program of activities with a list of officers and a schedule of meetings.  Each meeting date, time, and place must be submitted for inclusion in the College Weekly Calendar.  Meetings off-campus by recognized student groups require prior approval, as do programs or activities on the campus involving participation of non-students.  This process involves submission of the necessary request to the Vice President for Student Affairs, action by the Student Government Association, and approval by the Vice President for Student Affairs.