Apply (to as many as you can)!
“You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”
Here are some helpful tips on how to successfully apply to scholarships.
- Plan ahead. Keep a calendar of deadlines for scholarships.
- Read all of the application instructions and the entire scholarship application before you complete it.
- Read the eligibility requirements carefully.
- Know your audience. Make sure the goals you express in your application match the goals of the scholarship program.
- Show your strengths and explain your weaknesses. Highlight extracurricular and community activities as well as academic achievement. Explain any issues that may portray you in an unfavorable light.
- Be clear and concise. It’s best to write your application in word and then cut and paste it into the electronic application once you are satisfied with it.
- All scholarship applications also require a current resume which will be reviewed as carefully as your application. Your resume may include relevant experience and also may include any record of community service.
- Proofread your application; then ask a friend to proofread it.
- Request letters of recommendation from people who know you reasonably well. Don’t wait until the last minute to ask.
- Make sure to submit your application by the published deadline.
- Ask for help. If you have questions, ask financial aid.
- Don’t be reluctant to reapply.